Wednesday 30 September 2009

After searching high and low for possible competitions for my final project I have found one that seams promising. I am keeping my eyes and ears open to other competitions and opportunities and will talk through with tutors which will be the best suited for my ideas and concept. This competition runs through the UK and is open to students studying BA and MA Fashion. Link to comp - http://www.artsthread.com/viewer/competitions_grants.aspx?e=12 The brief "Memories shape who we are. Each generation has its own thread of narrative, weaving together collective or personal memories with objects that evoke a particular time, person or place.In our virtual era, what human traces will we leave behind?In this digital age, are we in danger of losing our memories? We favour technology over traditional methods of recording memory. In doing so we may be neglecting to archive our heritage for future generations."Memories connect the past with the present. The fabric of memory is ever-changing: our memories alter as they travel, metamorphosing with our changing thoughts, emotions and perceptions.We dress in memories. Garments can connect with our senses, evoking vivid recollections through sight, sound, touch and smell. Through its vocabulary – drape, fold, stitch, cut, tear – clothing signifies the emotional range of our memories." Thoughts on the brief I like the idea of this brief, I don't think its too restricting, maybe its not quite right for what I hope to achieve. It talks about 'draping, folding' which automatically makes me think its better suited to womenswear. I really feel strongly that menswear is what I want to do from now on, when looking back at last years collection, I really think I progressed in exploring menswear. If I were to start back with womenswear I don't think I could achieve my best, I'm just not passionate enough about it, with menswear I feel really challenged, excited and a bit scared. I will continue to think about this competition for a possible brief but see what others have to offer too. I feel I need to come back to this after some thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment