Tuesday 29 September 2009

Major Project Preperation

After looking through various designer collections from Fall 2009 I have pulled out a handful of creations that really caught my eye. Alexander McQueen's sinister take on early nineteenth century aristocrats blew me away. Not normally a McQueen lover, I was really shocked by this collection, I really understood what he was doing and I could relate to his concept. It was fantastic, with beautiful tailored pieces with glimmers of a horror movie, stunning and extremely inspiring. I love the way in which he has used beautiful fabrics in the suiting and has explored different textures used an old butchers apron to create a gritty silhouette. Link to McQueen's full menswear 09 show - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwLXExJRvXs Alessandro Dell'Acqua's fall collection encompassed classic materials such as camel, herringbone and Prince of Wales. I thought this collection seemed rich, luxury and fresh. The soft light knitwear introduces a layed back feel, topped up with faultless tailoring and contrasting colours. the colour palette is simple and effective, the use of sequins suggests glamour and wealth. I think it really works though, sequins are something often used in womenswear party season. However crossing boundaries and using splashes of something bold is what can put the spark in to a menswear collection. I want to explore what is acceptable in men's fashion, is there just certain things that don't work? Or can it be accepted in small doses? Or will it ever be accepted? Link to Dell'Acqua's full menswear 09 show - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NX6BrtHqwA Burberry Prorsum menswear stood out to me for the detail around the neck, whether it being a big printed scarf, or perfectly neat shirt collar, and wide lapels on jackets and trench coats. I was interested in this because of the use of colour and pattern. I'm looking into tartans and different traditional tartans, it was intriguing to see how Burberry used their pattern in moderation. Something as bold can disguise the beautiful tailoring behind it, or the simple cashmere knit piece. Link to Burberry Prorsum full menswear 09 show - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAyswA4JwLg

No comments:

Post a Comment