Thursday 17 September 2009

FdA Fashion Graduate Show 2009

The FDA graduate Fashion Show was a fantastic way to end the year. This image is my menswear collection, 'L'Uomo Dandy'. I was so pleased with what I managed to achieve for my final design unit. Looking back through photos now I can see little imperfections and details that I would have liked to have progressed forward but that's just something I can take with me and go forward with in my final year.
For my first time designing and constructing menswear, I really didn't know just what to expect, I knew I would really have to work hard and learn quickly as there is never enough time. However I think the pace that I had to work at helped me improve on getting things done faster, although still taking care and being precise, working faster also helped my personal motivation.
The research and concept behind my collection, consisted of Italian designer inspiration, of clean cut lines, sleek architectural structure of the body. I looked at Armani, Dolce & Gabanna, Prada, Marni. Although using Italian inspiration I wanted to combine a traditional British tailored look too, I researched into Neil Barrett, Savile Row, Ozwald Boateng, Edward Sexton.
This concept and 'Ready to Wear' path did provide me with good results and of course combined with my brief, for department store Beales. Yet I felt quite restricted to what would work for this brief, it had to be Spring /Summer 09 and fit in with Beales current stock package. So I knew I wanted to explore tailoring work with cottons, wools and linens, but really wanted to push my ideas and creativity further to create a stronger concept.
I feel my concept was strong and the final look did portray correctly what I set out achieve. I want to concentrate further this year on a stronger concept, broader ideas and look into menswear thoroughly to create a progressed more professional final collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment